Friday 6 January 2012

Fairy Lochs, Gairloch, Wester Ross

One of our favourite places in the UK is the North West coast of Scotland, in particular the area around Gairloch. We visit whenever possible and one walk we like to do is up to the Fairy Lochs. The Fairy Lochs are a small group of lochans approximately 2 miles (3 km) SE of the village of Badachro near Gairloch.


Although small and remote, the Fairy Lochs are also notable as the crash site of an American B-24 bomber which crashed on the 13th June 1945 with the loss of 15 young lives. The site is a designated war grave and further details and photographs can be found here.

It is a great walk and the views are spectacular. If you ever find yourself in that part of the world it is well worth the climb...

5 comments:

Diane said...

I have only been to Scotland when I cycled the end to end. The midges eat me alive and I have to admit spoilt a lot of the beauty for me. Diane

Susan said...

I clicked on the link. The pictures of the wreckage still strewn around are very evocative. Such a sad story, but wonderful that the souvenir hunters have not stripped the place bare.

Tim said...

One of my favourite places, Wester Ross. Used to stay at Poolewe. I like the walk from beside the New Inn toward the Flowerdale Falls... never yet reached the falls... there is too much natural history to look at and photograph. And then there's the inn at Badacro with it's collection of 'whishkies'. And Loch Maree... And Inverewe Gardens... And............
AH! Memories... thanks.

About Paris said...

Great pic of you both - set up a rock I take it or did you have someone else with you?

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Hi Tim.. Yes !! The inn at Badacro - have crawled out of it on too many occasions that I care to remember.. Have not been in recently though..

Jim - it was a rock (not too many people around up there)