Sunday 24 June 2012

Chomp Chomp Chomp...

A two pronged potager blog today folks...

Firstly this will be me on the first of our courgettes I picked this morning... I will be cooking them, (not all of them!), to eat with the salmon I am preparing for my evening meal...


Secondly is the Colorado beetle youngsters that I have crushed this morning between two rocks!!! 

We have been checking our potatoes regularly and when the adult beetles have been found they to have been crushed and any visible eggs removed... However some must have survived and hatched and they don't half chomp... This is what is left of one potato plant. I only checked them a couple of days ago!!! 

I think what we need is one of these devices which collects Colorado beetles and larvae.

I suppose its a bit big for four rows of spuds!!!

And finally one for Elizabeth...

Don't forget you need to do your flutterby survey when you get back. This one was on our drive this morning prodding into the dust and sunning itself...






2 comments:

Susan said...

Blimey! I see the adults so rarely I didn't think to check my potatoes carefully. Anyway I haven't noticed any signs of munching evident to the casual observer. My neighbour tells me that they find aubergines extra delicious, btw.

Tim said...

Charming Susan! Should we plant Aubergines in a screen round the spuds?
Colin, apparently crushed, blitzed adult and larvae sprayed back on the potato plants act as a very strong deterrent!