Wednesday 21 November 2012

One Thing Leads to Another...

Once the light summer evenings end, I start getting craft-crazy. There are so many things I want to make whilst I've got the chance before the round of planting, weeding, harvesting and preserving gets into full swing again.

I suppose I'm in the enviable position of being spoilt for choice. I was taught to knit and sew at a young age and it just grew from there. I love both and to these I've added painting, stone-polishing, pressed flowers, patchwork, drawn thread work, smocking, card-making and others I can't even think of right now.

That leaves me with too many choices... I'm not good at making decisions at the best of times but with all that to go at it can be very hard to choose.

However I was strict with myself and made my choice: I would start the winter off with some knitting. I found an excellent online store, Outback Yarns, which would ship yarn to France at no extra charge. 

One cardigan and two neckwarmers down, I'm currently waiting for another consignment of wool to make a jumper.

All very straightforward?? Well, not quite. Having bought the wool and the pattern and found my needles I felt I needed a knitting bag to keep it all together... So I got busy sewing........

With some fabric left over, it seemed sensible to make a second bag as a gift for my friend.

Now you can probably see what's happening here. One craft turned into two without even a blink of an eye. But it didn't stop there; oh no!

In searching for some suitable cardboard to strengthen and stiffen the base of the bags, I had cause to look into my art supplies... Well, you have to have a go, don't you!

 And, of course, I could use a gift card to put with the bag....

So we're only three or four weeks into "winter" and I've already attempted four of my favourite crafts.

I never thought I'd say this but I only hope it's a long winter!!

4 comments:

GaynorB said...

I might have a go at a neck warner to warm up my cabling skills before I finish my opus magna.

GaynorB said...

PS A very nice array of gifts, especially with Christmas coming ...

Tim said...

The two Blue and a Great are lovely! A very nice watercolour...
and the Photo cards are lovely too! I am about to start on our Christmas card for this year.

Anonymous said...

I love winter as well, and I'll definitely be checking out your wool link. I'm blessed with a Phildar shop in La Rochefoucauld, and a great little haberdashery. I was just thinking of doing a little trip there myself! You've definitely made me step up, otherwise winter will be over and I'll have nothing to show for it!