Saturday 1 March 2014

New Lens...

After many months of reading reviews and comparing costs I have finally purchased a new lens for my Canon Camera. The final choice was the Sigma DG 120-400mm1:4.5,5.6 APO HSM. It is, to say the least, a beast weighing in at 1.7kgs. It arrived yesterday and below are some of my initial shots... I have reduced them, but not as much as we usually do. The first three were taken with the tripod.


This was taken freehand at a distance of over 100mtrs away

These were again taken freehand but through our windows...

I am pleased with the results. It does what it says on the box and should help with my workout humping it around! The last telephoto lens I bought was over 40 years ago for a now defunct SLR film camera... I still have the camera and the lens... One day they may become collectors items!!!!



6 comments:

GaynorB said...

Tim says WOW! Fantastic shots!

Gaynor (who understands that she is probably a heathen) wonders why you both still have your SLR cameras and lenses? Is it a man thing? ;o)

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Yup... women never keep things....!!!

Tim said...

Gaynor, I still have three good analogue SLRs...
plus one I bought at a vide-grenier for the lens...
those lenses, however, fit my current digital cameras.... but I don't get all the camera functions if I am using them.
Also, roll film is still made and can be used... and then scanned in!! In fact, it is questionable if the alogrithms that give B&W in digital actually create the difference between the analogue film types...
sorry...
Gaynor...
wake up!!
WAKE UP at the back there!!

-----------------------------

Colin, if nothing from your old SLR is compatible with your Canon system....
you could always flog them on eBay or Le Bon Corner and put the cash towards a x2 Sima multiplier....
then your new 150-400mm lens...
which is 180-600mm equivalent on the camera...
would give you an amazing 1200mm at full zoom!!
Then you could have fun!!

And now I know where all the Siskins are this year....
and that is a nice Cirl Bunting male you've captured there.

GaynorB said...

Colin!

I didn't that women (I) don't keep things, but in the whole realm of things I could keep a camera and lenses wouldn't be at the top, or even on, my list. Especially if I had a whizz new set!

Tim, you're right. I just don't get it! It must be living with the consummate hoarder... ;o)

Jean said...

Marvellous photos!
Well done on an excellent purchase!
Nick still has his old SLR camera. It gets moved from one storage place to another every so often!
I think it's a sentimental attachment to something that was a big deal many years ago, no longer any use but hard to part with because it was a major investment at the time. I can't think of a female equivalent yet......just give me a bit of time........

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Well said Jean... It has sentimental value definitely!! C