Friday 9 May 2014

Runner Beans

I have for the last couple of years said I would try and grow some runner beans... BUT basic seeds appear to be difficult to find here in France. I found a purple variety in Bricomarche at €11.50 a pack... I didn't want to grow them that much!! However the good shop Lidl had some in at €0.69 a pack...

I planted 12 small pots and in no time they looked like this...

Now, as the French do, I utilised a spare wheelbarrow hub to make a simple climbing frame. 12 stakes and some strong cord completed the frame.
I do hope it holds up!!

The circle was dug out and filled with compost with a dusting of soil ready for planting..

All planted up.

and a few days later...

Will we get beans? Watch this space...


4 comments:

About Paris said...

Looks great Colin...but that hub doesn't look recycled!

Colin and Elizabeth said...

Jim well spotted it is new... BUT it was cheaper to buy a complete wheel from Bricodepot than just a tube and tyre... The hub was unfortunately completely wrong for our barrow!! We blogged about it somewhere!

Tim said...

You can buy runner bean seeds here, but mainly as an ornamental - they need humidity to set so unless you keep spraying them with water you don't get beans! I grow a variety called Moonlight which is actually a runner/french bean cross and doesn;t need spraying. Tastes like a proper runner bean too! P.

Tim said...

Why you grow your beans upside down?? Tim